Monday, June 14, 2010

I met a real life Aussie tonight

Great! I was saying that I have not yet had a chance to meet one of our many soccer tourists. Well tonight I got the chance and had an interesting conversation with Mike from Cairns in Australia. I know now that Cairns is on the East side of Australia - right at the very top of the East side. It was wonderful to hear of the many good things Mike had to say about our country and our people. He was not reserved in saying that they had been outplayed by a better German team at the soccer game in Durban. I hope the Aussies find their feet in the next two round one games. What I liked about our Aussie friend was his openness to just ask if he could sit at our table and chat like we had met before. Mike did however convey the thoughts of his friends at home in their displeasure with the monotone drone of the Vuvuzela's. When I asked Mike if he would be taking one home with him - he put it across quite clearly about what would be said to him when he tries to get it through customs in Aussie :-) Why can't we as South Africans be so open and at ease in just making conversation with people we don't know - are we that closed off to one another...such a shame! I think the world and other cultures certainly have lessons we can learn from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment